Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 9 and 10 - Robert's in Schriever, LA

Woke up Saturday morning to an empty house.  I'd had great intentions of waking up so I could ride in to the airport with J and his dad, so his dad wouldn't have to drive back alone.  Nope, didn't happen.  Not only did I not wake up as they got ready and left, J also dug in my purse, got my car keys, and moved my car because I was blocking them in!!!  I love that he knew that he could do that.

The rest of Saturday was all about food.  I went to a gas station by the old house that used to serve beignets, and was pleased to find that they still did.

 As I was sitting there with my beignet, a familiar face walked by, and I FLEW out of the gas station to get him!
Hank, one of my brother's best friends
Rode around town, past the old house, high school, junior high school...  I wasn't supposed to meet Robert and Monica until noon, so I went and got a snoball.  My favorite has always been Popeye.  I think it's only because my favorite color used to be green.



Met Robert* and Monica and one of their sons at Frostop, which is a local burger chain that makes their own root beer.

*Robert is my 3rd best friend.  In high school, he and Tony and I were inseparable.

Come to find out, they'd ordered a sack (40 pounds) of crawfish, and Robert was boiling it for dinner!
Alive

Alive
Not alive

He added corn and sausage and potatos and onions.

Finished product!
Well, Tony and Belinda had also come to Thibodaux to pick up their kids from her folks...who live right across the street from Robert and Monica!  How crazy is that?!  So while Belinda was hanging out with her friends, Tony came over and we watched dumb movies*, again just like the old days.

*We went to Blockbuster.  They picked out "Get Him to the Greek", and I picked out "The Green Hornet".  Just like in high school, their movie was awful, and my movie got more laughs.  I've told you that Hot Tamale doesn't have the best antenna, my iPod doesn't last all day, and the only CD's I brought were medical terminology?  Well, Blockbuster had a Glee soundtrack, Lady Gaga, and Maroon 5, all on sale for less than $1.50, so I picked up all 3!!  I've listened to them, and so far I think my overall favorite is the Maroon 5.
Three amigos!
Sunday was Fathers' Day, so Robert and his son went to play golf.  Monica and I went to the mall and then to a restuarant called Bayou Delight, which is in Bayou Black, and - obviously - sits right on a bayou.  I should have taken a picure of that, but I didn't, so here's a picture of my seafood gumbo.  We also got fried alligator as an appetizer, and a praline for dessert.

Pralines don't photograph very well.  I think this could easily be mistaken for vomit or a brain.
That afternoon, I went to visit some family friends.  They were in graduate school with my dad, so I seriously have known these people since I was...5?  She made beef curry for dinner, and for dessert she made my favorite - a popcorn cake!!

This was a belated birthday cake!!
Got back to Robert and Monica's in time to spend a little more time with them, and then it was off to bed.  (Their guest bed is a WATERbed!!)

Me and Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment