Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 2 - Ramada Inn Express in Green River, UT


Odometer reading - 766.4

Woke up about an hour before John and his wife, but it was nice and comfortable and so I read for awhile.  After LOTS of debating on what to do, and LOTS of options, we went to a...COPPER MINE!!  I know, I know, but it was SO COOL.  I mean, just awesome.  I can't describe it.  We stood on an observation deck, and watched these teeny tiny little trucks plod up a steep hill...when those trucks were actually TWO STORIES tall and had tires that were twice as tall as I am!!  There are no pictures to proof this.  Because John accidentally deleted them.  BUT THAT'S OK!!  I did get this picture of the Michelin Man off of one of the big tires.  Each truck needs 6 of them, they cost between 25-30G's, and they last 9 months!




It was just so cool.  We splurged and put a quarter in the binoculars?  OMG!!  I'm NEVER going to pass binoculars up again, just in case things to look at are HALF as cool as they were to look at here!

At the gift shop, I bought ANOTHER mood ring.  You can't tell (since I took this pic AS I WAS DRIVING!!!), but it's a starfish, I guess?  Since these are mainly sold at beach locations?  I'm going to say it's an ameoba, though.



Left there and went to an Asian cultural festival.  Pretty lame.  I mean, the Army had a booth, and Sam's Club had a booth and Direct TV and every insurance agency you can think of.  The authentic booths were cool, they were just outnumbered.

Well, that made us crave Chinese food, so we went to a restaurant called...Pei Wei?  Wei Pei?  Something like that, and it was fabulous.  Comparable to a PF Changs, but not.

We'd already decided that I would leave this afternoon, since I have a long day tomorrow, but John is such a great host, he wanted to make sure that I'd had a good SLC experience, so to end the trip he took us on a beautiful mountain drive up to some ski slopes.  THERE WAS STILL SNOW ON THE GROUND!!!  LOTS OF SNOW!!  It was crazy.  And yes, those pictures were part of the group that didn't make it...

Left SLC, uneventful but pretty 3 hour drive to Green River, UT, where I was worried I wasn't going to find a room.  First hotel was booked, second one wanted $109.  I'm in a Ramada Express, watching the Keanu Reeves' movie about the reject football players?  Headed to Colorado Springs tomorrow to meet Brian, my cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment