Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 8 - J's in Thibodaux, LA

My final morning in Houston began with me going to the Open House for the new building that Tony's company had bought.  They were serving food and champagne and all of the families were invited.  I told Tony that I didn't want to intrude, and all I had to wear was a t-shirt, but he said he knew people, and it'd be ok!  And it was ok, and again, all of his co-workers were super friendly to me.

Got on the road to Thibodaux.  Pretty uneventful trip.  Unfortunately, now that I was in familiar territory, I didn't even bother to check websites or books for cool things along the way.  Think of all of the cool stuff I probably missed!!  Sigh...

I did hit my first Waffle House of the trip!!  Vanilla coke, and hash browns - scattered, smothered, covered, diced, peppered and capped.  Life is good.

I hate that this picture doesn't scream 'WAFFLE HOUSE'.

My grilled cheese plate.
 Get to Thibodaux, and there's someone I want to see before he takes off the next morning.  His name is J, and I've known him FOREVER.  He's a few years older than me, and I think (?) he originally taught me swimming lessons?  Then we worked together during the summers at the pool, teaching swimming lessons.  He was a student of my dad's, and went on to get his doctorate at Mississippi State while I was still there, and then he returned to Nicholls where he worked with my dad.  Weird.  He spent Thanksgiving with us.  Anyway, just a good friend, but he was leaving the next morning, and if I wanted to see him, it had to be Friday afternoon, since I was meeting Jason (my second BFF) for dinner.  Well, I texted and left messages on J's phone all day on Friday and got no response.  Well, he knew I was coming, so I figured I'd just go to his house.  I found it, and he wasn't home, but his dad was.  So his dad lets me in, and we talk and talk.  I have to meet Jason at 6:30, and J doesn't get home til 5:45.  No biggie, any time is better than no time, so we visit and hug and then I have to go.  I FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE!!  I was so upset with myself, because who knew when I'd see him again?  But I was already running late, so I just went on to dinner.

I get to the restaurant (Bubba's) at 6:32, and Jason shows up at...6:50!!!  Ugh!!!  I had had PLENTY of time to go back and get a picture with J!!!  Anyway...  Jason and I met my Senior year.  He sat behind me in math, and for the first half of the year, all he'd ever do was ask me for a pencil, so that's one of our many jokes now ('hey girl, you got a pencil?').  I don't know how we overcame that and became friends, but we did and we are.  OMG he makes me LAUGH.  So we sat in the bar at Bubba's and were loud and obnoxious.  When we finally ordered dinner, it was almost 9 o'clock; it took us that long to look at the menu!!  I got a crawfish poboy.  I started eating the second she put it in front of me, and forgot to take a picture until it was halfway gone.
Those are homemade potato chips - YUM!!

Me and Jas


  Well, I didn't have a place to stay for the night.  I did that because Jason drove in from New Orleans to see me, and if he'd wanted to stay until 2am getting caught up, then I didn't want to sneak back into someone's house at that time; I figured I'd just get a hotel room.  Well, he wussed out at 10 and headed home.  I KNEW J would still be up, so I called and told him that I needed to take a picture...and a place to stay...!  By the time I got there, he'd pulled out the couch bed for me.  I asked if there was anything I could do to help him get ready for his trip, but he said no, and I was out like a light.  He apparently stayed up and kept lights on and watched tv and walked in and out of the house, all right around the couch where I was sleeping.

Me, J and Bandit

No comments:

Post a Comment