Monday, July 16, 2012

HeeeLLOOOOooooo!!

Hey!!  Me again!  I'm back on the road, doing another cross country trip.  I left Saturday morning, made it 460 miles to Butte, MT, and then 640 miles yesterday to end up in...(looking for my hotel receipt)...Wheatland, WY, where I slept better than I have in AGES.  I've got a ton of stories, but I want to be on the road by 7:30 so I can get to Cheyenne by 9. so I'll just put up some pictures now.

1st stop in Lewiston, ID.  Elephant escaped from the visiting circus, and the mayor mistook her need for water as a murderous rampage, so he shot her.  :(  RoadsideAmerica find #1.

After this I passed a 'Naked Cowgirl on front of bar' on Hwy 12 in Lolo, MT.  It really was on the highway.  I saw it as I was passing, and it wasn't worth a turnaround. 

I stopped in Missoula for a smashed penny at the carousel.  Now, I've got an ethical dilemma going on with the smashed pennies - I didn't RIDE the carousel, so do I deserve a smashed penny from here?  I did sit and watch it for...seconds.  I was parked in a lot that I couldn't decide was private or pay or what, so I didn't spend a lot of time. 

There is also a 5 GUYS in Missoula...I LOVE 5 Guys.  BUT, I'd just had one in the last week, and the next place I wanted to stop was Clinton, MT, home of the annual Testicle Festival, so I skipped 5 Guys.  Stopped at a bar in Clinton, and told myself that if there were testicles on the menu, I'd try them.  Luckily, there weren't!!  Then I went to a gift shop, and it was the RAUNCHIEST gift shop I've been to outside of Bourbon Street!  I did NOT get a souvenir.  (My biggest problem was the all of the gifts implied that I'd been to the festival - "I had a BALL at the Testicle Festival" - and I haven't.)


RoadsideAmerica stop #2.  The HORRIBLE look on my face is because I couldn't remember what was so cool about this stop - I'd just written down 'big stack' on my list of sites to see.  Well, sure enough, there was a...big stack...  Turns out this was once America's tallest smokestack, and the Washington Monument could fit inside!!  How crazy is that?!

RoadsideAmerica find #3.  Evil Knievel's tombstone.  Should I be taking pictures of tombstones?  Is that disrespectful?!

Other side of his tombstone.  True story - he had this made YEARS earlier before he made a jump that no one thought he'd survive.  He did, so this just sat in storage until he really did pass!

RoadsideAmerica stop #4.  Can you see that lump on the hill above my pointer finger?  Wha?!  You're crazy, of course you can!!  That is Our Lady of the Rockies, a statue of Mary that is only 20 feet shorter than the Statue of Liberty.  There's a 3 hour bus tour to visit her.

I spent the night in Butte, and the next morning I really, REALLY wanted to visit some 'Mysterious Singing Rocks' outside of town.  There are only 6 of these piles in the world!!  (Apparently you bang one against another and they...ring?  Like bells?)  At first I thought I'd be afraid of psycho serial killers, but as it turns out, it wasn't a safe trail for MY CAR.  I didn't understand someone's comment that a 'high clearance' vehicle was recommended...  I made a good effort, wasted about 40 minutes, did who knows how much damage to my car!!  (I was really just worried about unbalancing the tires that I'd just had balanced, but they seem fine.)

I also have found the HOLY GRAIL of smashed pennies.  I stopped at a teeny tiny little airport in Belgrade, MT for a smashed penny. The machine is ON THE OTHER SIDE OF SECURITY!!!  I only had free parking for 30 minutes, so I didn't stick around to try to figure out a way to beat the system.  And that's another one that I think I would have felt I didn't really deserve if I had managed to talk the security guard into getting for me.

TWO HEADED CALF IN
COLUMBUS, MT!!  In a super cool, my kind of bar.  I was really surprised to see this on the wall - I thought it was going to be in a jar.  And I'd planned on taking more pictures - like one holding up 5 fingers since it was my 5th RoadsideAmerica stop, and one (of course) with me in it, but the 7 people in the bar stopped talking to watch me do this (and not in a super friendly way), so I got my one pic and got out.

RoadsideAmerica stop #6, but alas it was Sunday.  He's got one of the World's Tallest Man's shoes on display!  I was going to take off one of my sandals and take a pic for comparison.  Al had lots of signs up supporting the veterans, so he's cool with me.


RoadsideAmerica stop #...have to scroll up because I've lost count (in my defense, I took a break from writing)...7.  Rootbeer family in Casper, WY.  Of course I had to get something to eat!!  I ordered a 'Mo', which was a burger with mozzeralla cheese.  I took two bites and I hit something crunchy and I was all 'wtf?' when I realized it was BACON!  I must not have read the description, because I don't know that I would have ordered it otherwise - I mean, to order one meat topped with another?  I don't know.  Anyway, it was very good!!  And I got a root beer float.  Duh.

World's Largest Jackalope in Douglas, WY.

World's SECOND Largest Jackalope in Douglas, WY - HAHAHA!!
Both RoadsideAmerica finds.

Sign in my hotel bathroom in Wheatland, WY.

No comments:

Post a Comment